The organ was built by Harrison and Harrison of Durham in 1922 and installed in 1923. The organ was designed by the famous blind organist of Edinburgh, Alfred Hollins, and contains 50 speaking stops.
This was Harrison's first Concert Hall Organ and the scale of the building is quite colossal and the organ is one of the finest instruments.
In 1991 the organ was carefully restored by the original builders and the pitch sharpened to make the organ playable with the visiting orchestras / bands.
The exhaust pneumatic action has been restored in its entirety, and the original adjustable pistons, one on each division save the Orchestral, which had two, allow for the pneumatic piston action to be fitted with an electronic memory.
The combination pedals have been removed and replaced with toe pistons. A Swell to Orchestral coupler has been added.
Dundee City Council are delighted that part of Dundee’s cultural heritage has been restored for future generations.
The post of City Organist is currently held by Stuart Muir who was tutored by John Langdon whilst studying music at RSAMD in Glasgow.
Stuart also trained with Bernard Porter at St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral in Glasgow.
Since 2000 Stuart has been the Pastoral Musician at St. Paul’s Episcopal Cathedral in Dundee.
A series of Organ Recitals takes place in September each year.
• View Technical Information on the Caird Hall Organ.